The British Society for the History of Science aims:
- To be the generalist society of primary affiliation for all academics working in HSTM in these islands.
- To foster HSTM internationally
- To maintain BJHS as a leading learned journal in the discipline.
- To arrange a number of learned meetings in the discipline.
- To promote the discipline in higher education.
- To lobby the relevant agencies in support of the discipline, its resources and artefacts
- To promote awareness of HSTM in other areas of higher education (e.g. science faculties, general history departments)
- To promote awareness of, and encourage the teaching of, HSTM at all levels and in all areas of education.
- To foster understanding of the role of STM in the development of modern society.
- To increase the number of activities aimed at a variety of non-academic audiences.
- To encourage the exchange of ideas relating to HSTM between academic practitioners, teachers, scientists, government agencies and other relevant bodies.
- To raise the profile and increase the membership of BSHS on these islands and overseas.