Waseda University – Assistant or Associate or Full Professor, History and Philosophy of Science
Location: Japan Institution Type: College/University Position Type: Assistant, Associate or Full Professor
Main Category: History of Science/Medicine/Technology Secondary Categories: Philosophy
Application Guidelines for a Full-time Faculty Position (in History and Philosophy of Science) at the School of International Liberal Studies, Waseda University
1. Field of specialization: History and Philosophy of Science
2. Number of faculty to be hired: One
4. Salary and wages: As per university rules
5. Date of employment: in principle, April 1st, 2009
6. Qualifications: (1)Preference will be given to an individual with a Ph.D., although those completing all doctoral course work, or with equivalent qualifications, may apply. (2)Teaching experience at the college level, with a demonstrated ability to lecture in English. (3)Proficiency in Japanese is expected.
7. Documents to be submitted: (1)A letter of application, explaining your interest in and suitability for a faculty position at the School of International Liberal Studies.
(2)A curriculum vitae and related information. You can download the application form on the School of International Liberal studies webpage. Please follow the link below to the website of the School of International Liberal Studies. You can download copies of the application form from there: http://www.waseda.jp/sils/news/ap/index-e.html
Applicants should provide the following information: a.Personal information and academic experience (Full name, nationality, home address, e-mail address, educational background (please note if you have had any grants), employment record). b.Research accomplishments (Ph.D. and Master’s Degree Thesis titles, publications, presentations, academic and professional activities, honors and awards, and externally funded projects. For publications provide the title, year, publisher and place of publication.) c.Research and field of specialization d.Teaching experience and interests (courses and content taught, courses you might teach at the School of International Liberal Studies, and your broader future contribution to the School) e.Language skills (native language, proficiency in other languages, for non-native English speakers please list periods you studied in English language environments.)
(3)Photocopies of one or more documents in each of the following areas (up to five in each area): a.Documents (including publications) related to your role as a teacher, perhaps a course syllabus, a detailed handout, or others (especially documents with direct relevance to teaching within the School of International Liberal Studies). b.Documents (including publications) related to your role as a researcher (especially as related to the position you are applying for) within the last five years and a summary of these publications in approximately one side of A4.
(4)Certificates and transcripts from all post-secondary educational institutions attended (copies of diplomas are acceptable).
(5)Please ask two referees to write recommendation letters, (either in English or Japanese), in signed, sealed envelopes and send the letters to the address listed below, by September, 19th, 2008.
(6)Please also provide two further referees and submit their information (Name, Organization, Status, Contact information). We may contact these additional referees at a later stage in the selection process.
Note: Your letter of application (category (1)) should be provided in English. The documents requested in categories (2), (3), (4), (5) and (6) should be provided either in English or in Japanese. Those who have already had a permanent position of professor or associate professor at university do not need to provide the documents in category (4). In principle, the documents will not be returned to the applicant.
8. Application Period: August 5th – September 19th, 2008 (The application must arrive by this date.)
9. Application Process: All documents should be placed in an envelope marked “Application for Faculty Position in History and Philosophy of Science” in red and sent by registered mail to the address below. Applications delivered in person or submitted electronically will not be accepted.
10. Address for Documents: Faculty Employment Group E School of International Liberal Studies Waseda University 1-21-1 Nishi-Waseda, Shinjuku-ku Tokyo Japan 169-0051
11. Selection Process: (1)Preliminary screening will be based on application documents. Candidates who pass the first stage of the selection process will be notified in the middle of October, 2008. (2)Interviews (with mock teaching session) for candidates advancing to the second stage will be carried out in late October at Waseda University (Tokyo). Interview transportation costs are to be borne by the applicant.
12. Enquiries: Faculty Employment Group E School of International Liberal Studies Waseda University E-mail: [email protected]
13. Additional Information: For further information on the School of International Liberal Studies see: http://www.waseda.jp/sils/en/index.html The personal information you have submitted will be used in the selection process. If you are selected for appointment, that personal information will be retained in your record of employment. The personal information of other persons will be carefully disposed of by Waseda University. Contact Info: Application Process: All documents should be placed in an envelope marked “Application for Faculty Position in History and Philosophy of Science” in red and sent by registered mail to the address below. Applications delivered in person or submitted electronically will not be accepted.
Address for Documents: Faculty Employment Group E School of International Liberal Studies Waseda University 1-21-1 Nishi-Waseda, Shinjuku-ku Tokyo Japan 169-0051
30% discount off Royal Society Notes and Records
20% discount off Ashgate publications
BSHS members get an exclusive 20% off all Ashgate publications.