The Outreach and Education Committee (OEC) of the BSHS would like to extend a particular invitation for symposia at the European Society for the History of Science Biennial Conference 2018.
The conference – which is being organised in conjunction with the British Society for the History of Science – will be held at University College London’s Institute of Education from 14 to 17 September 2018.
The OEC would like to encourage contributions (panels, roundtables, workshops, discussions, screenings or other formats of public presentation) that explore the interface between scholarship in the history of STEM and society at large. This might include (but is not limited to):
- use of HoSTEM scholarship in the production of films, television, radio or other audiovisual media
- HoSTEM in journalism or popular writing
- role of HoSTEM in contemporary policy making
- public museums and exhibiting HoSTEM
- re-enactment of historical events and practices, or performances for the general public
- provision of access of historical sources to the general public via websites, other digital media, podcasts or print
- use of recent HoSTEM scholarship in non-university educational contexts such as schools or adult education institutions
We especially welcome panels that present contrasting situations or experiences in different international contexts. Potential symposia organisers are asked to please note the further information on selection criteria for symposia that can be found on the ESHS website here: http://eshs2018.uk/index.php/call-for-papers/
If you would like to be considered as part of this strand of the conference, please put “OEC” at the beginning of the symposium title when submitting the proposal. Please feel free to email Elizabeth Haines at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to discuss your proposal before submission.
The deadline for submission of proposals is 23.59GMT on 6 December 2017.