The BSHS welcomes members from all backgrounds, in the UK and internationally. Current members include academics, writers, students, museums professionals, schoolteachers and anyone with an interest in some aspect of the history of science, technology and medicine.
All members of the Society receive
- the quarterly British Journal for the History of Science with research articles and reviews of the latest books in the history of science, technology and medicine
- our magazine, Viewpoint, carrying all the latest news and views from the field, three times a year
- advance invitations to conferences and other meetings at reduced rates, with substantial reductions for student members
- electronic access to forthcoming articles and back volumes of the British Journal for the History of Science via the Cambridge Journals Online service.
- 20% discount off all Ashgate publications – see http://www.ashgate.com/bshs for further details
- 30% discount off Royal Society Notes and Records – see http://royalsocietypublishing.org/site/librarians/BSHS.xhtml for further details
- grants and prizes, some available only to members
Membership rates and terms
The application forms available below list our membership rates. New applicants may benefit from an introductory offer, providing a reduced rate for the first year of membership. New members who are also members of the History of Science Society receive from a further reduction, and may join at half price.
We provide alternative offers for students, unemployed, independent scholars and retired members, who qualify for this membership status: this offers the same benefits as Ordinary membership at reduced prices. Student membership also gives reduced rates for some BSHS events, and is available for up to five years.
Any person in financial difficulties who wishes to join should write in confidence to discuss terms (details below.)
The membership year is the calendar year. There are no refunds for members joining part-way through, but back copies of the year’s publications will be supplied. If you join after 1st November of each year your membership will automatically be transferred to the 1st January of the next year unless you advise otherwise.
How to become a member
This section provides information for new applicants: existing members should instead see the membership renewals section.
We offer the following options for membership subscription:
Online credit/debit card payment: pay directly through this site by going to Join the BSHS online.
Direct Debit: applicants with a UK bank account may alternatively set up a Direct Debit arrangement, allowing automatic annual renewal. (see more about the Direct Debit scheme.) Simply print, fill in and sign both the membership application form and the Direct Debit mandate form from the links below, post them to us in the same envelope, and we’ll do the rest. From 2012 we offer a discounted rate to all members who pay by Direct Debit as this method helps us reduce our administration costs.
Credit card, debit card or cheque by post: fill in the membership application form only and send it to us (enclosing cheque if appropriate.) We can accept cheques in pounds sterling only. International card payments will be drawn as the pounds sterling equivalent.
- New member application form 2015 [PDF]
- Student New member application form 2015[PDF]
- Direct Debit Mandate Form [PDF]
Completed form(s) should be sent to: BSHS Executive Secretary, PO Box 3408, Norwich, UK, NR3 3WE or scanned and sent to [email protected]
All email enquiries about membership should be sent to [email protected]