The BSHS welcomes members from all backgrounds, in the UK and internationally. Current members include academics, writers, students, museums professionals, schoolteachers and anyone with an interest in some aspect of the history of science, technology and medicine.
All members of the Society receive
- the quarterly British Journal for the History of Science with research articles and reviews of the latest books in the history of science, technology and medicine
- our magazine, Viewpoint, carrying all the latest news and views from the field, three times a year
- advance invitations to conferences and other meetings at reduced rates, with substantial reductions for student members
- electronic access to forthcoming articles and back volumes of the British Journal for the History of Science via the Cambridge Core service.
- 20% discount off all Ashgate publications – see http://www.ashgate.com/bshs for further details
- 30% discount off Royal Society Notes and Records – see http://royalsocietypublishing.org/site/librarians/BSHS.xhtml for further details
- grants and prizes, some available only to members
Membership rates and terms
New applicants may benefit from an introductory offer, providing a reduced rate for the first year of membership. New members who are also members of the History of Science Society or the European Society for the History of Science receive a further reduction.
We provide concessionary membership for: students, unemployed people, independent scholars, and retired people. This offers the same benefits as Ordinary membership at reduced prices. Concessionary membership also gives reduced rates for some BSHS events.
Any person in financial difficulties who wishes to join should email in confidence to discuss terms (details below.)
Membership is for 12 months from the date your payment is processed.
Our membership rates have remained unchanged for several years, but after consultation with members, the Council has decided to increase some of them from April 2018. Because one of our most important aims is to provide financial support for students, we are maintaining the same low fees as before for anyone who is not in full employment, including students, independent scholars, and the retired. However, for those who are employed, we are setting the fee at £60 a year in the UK, with corresponding changes for overseas applicants. Because of the advantages offered by membership, this higher level continues to represent excellent value, while also enabling us to expand the grants, travel bursaries etc that we offer. Unfortunately, we cannot gift-aid membership, because it offers us potential personal benefits, but UK tax-payers can gift-aid all additional donations.
We use WebCollect to manage our membership services. Please visit https://webcollect.org.uk/bshs to join or renew an existing membership.
All email enquiries about membership should be sent to [email protected]