Viewpoint is the colourful and entertaining magazine of the BSHS. Launched in its present form in 2006, it appears as an A4-format publication aimed at a broad readership, featuring articles, opinions, reviews and interviews addressing the history of science, technology and medicine, and drawing on the Society’s Outreach and Education activities. Viewpoint is published three times a year, in February, June and October.
We’re currently recruiting a new editor: the role entails commissioning and editing copy and creating layout. A nose for good content, editorial accuracy, and ability to work to tight deadlines are all essential. The editor is supported in her/his tasks by an assistant, and software training can be provided. Normal tenure is three years. The editorship is unpaid but generates excellent CV points. Former editor Rebekah Higgitt says ‘I probably owe my job at the National Maritime Museum to Viewpoint!’
A full job description is available from firstname.lastname@example.org – applications to the same address by 31 March 2014. Applications should consist of a brief CV and cover letter explaining interest in the role and any relevant experience, together with any ideas for updating the magazine.
In issue 103:
- A museums special, as we launch the Great Exhibitions competition, including reviews of 4 recent displays on anything from pieces of coral to particle colliders
- A report from our recent Postgraduate Conference, and from HSS 2013 in Boston
- An interview with Aileen Fyfe ahead of the 2014 BSHS Conference in St Andrews
In issue 102:
- Charlotte Nicklas on fashion, chemistry, and the uses of petroleum
- Simon Werrett on the history of colour in pyrotechnics
- Allison Ksiazkiewicz on the problem of describing colour
- An interview with David Wright, winner of the 2013 Dingle Prize
- SOUVENIR SPECIAL: The Congress in Cottonopolis
All contributions and correspondence should be sent to the Editor, Dr Melanie Keene, Homerton College, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 8PH, UK, or to email@example.com. Electronic communication is preferred. The deadline for the June 2014 issue is 15 April 2014. Instructions for contributors can be found in pdf here.
Enquiries about circulation, including subscription requests, should be sent to the BSHS Executive Secretary (see contacts). Viewpoint is free to all BSHS members and is priced at £12.00 per year (three issues) for non-members.
The Editor will always consider advertisements regarding new appointments but, as a general rule, other advertisements are not printed in this publication. However, for an appropriate charge, leaflets advertising suitable events, publications, etc, can be sent out with Viewpoint subject to size and postage restrictions. Full details are available from the BSHS Executive Secretary.
- To read digital versions of back issues, see here. The digital version of Viewpoint appears online a month after members receive their printed copy.
- To more information about joining the BSHS and receiving Viewpoint and the British Journal for the History of Science, see the BSHS Membership page.
Between May and September 2010, a web-based survey was conducted in order to gather information from Viewpoint readers as to their current habits and preferences, and suggestions for contributions or future directions for Viewpoint. 136 people completed the survey and most answered within a few days of the original email announcement. For confidentiality reasons, all email addresses offered by potential contributors have been removed.