Viewpoint is the magazine of the BSHS. Launched in its present form in 2006, it appears as an A4-format publication aimed at a broad readership, featuring articles, opinions, reviews and interviews addressing the history of science, technology and medicine, and drawing on the Society’s Outreach and Education activities. Viewpoint is published three times a year, in February, June and October.
In the June 2013 issue, we get emotional:
- Thomas Dixon tracks tears in early modern science and literature in our feature article
- Katy Price writes on relativity, poetry, and Empson’s impassioned quandaries
- Chris Millard introduces the ‘Carnival of Lost Emotions’
- The Great Exhibitions 2012 winners tell all about their prize-winning displays
- There is a sneak preview of iCHSTM 2013 from the Manchester team
- Colleagues report back from BSHS-sponsored conferences on ‘Cultures of Ancient Science’, ‘Medical Matters’ and ‘Scientiae’
- Plus book and exhibitions reviews, the return of the Viewpoint interview, and more…
In the October 2012 issue we celebrated 50 years of the BJHS:
- Commentaries on the contents of the original issue
- Past editors pick their top 5 articles – which you can read for free on the BJHS website
- Past editors – the questionnaire
All contributions and correspondence should be sent to the Editor, Dr Melanie Keene, Homerton College, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 8PH, UK, or to firstname.lastname@example.org. Electronic communication is preferred. The deadline for the October 2013 issue is 15 August 2013. Instructions for contributors can be found in pdf here.
Enquiries about circulation, including subscription requests, should be sent to the BSHS Executive Secretary (see contacts). Viewpoint is free to all BSHS members and is priced at £12.00 per year (three issues) for non-members.
The Editor will always consider advertisements regarding new appointments but, as a general rule, other advertisements are not printed in this publication. However, for an appropriate charge, leaflets advertising suitable events, publications, etc, can be sent out with Viewpoint subject to size and postage restrictions. Full details are available from the BSHS Executive Secretary.
- To read digital versions of back issues, see here. The digital version of Viewpoint appears online a month after members receive their printed copy.
- To more information about joining the BSHS and receiving Viewpoint and the British Journal for the History of Science, see the BSHS Membership page.
Between May and September 2010, a web-based survey was conducted in order to gather information from Viewpoint readers as to their current habits and preferences, and suggestions for contributions or future directions for Viewpoint. 136 people completed the survey and most answered within a few days of the original email announcement. For confidentiality reasons, all email addresses offered by potential contributors have been removed.