To the International Members of IUHPS/DLMPS,
Please find below an updated announcement for our LMPS Congress in Beijing this summer. After some initial problems the congress web site is now working (even if a bit slow), one can register on-line (without paying until the (new) deadline of May 15), the list of invited speakers is almost complete and can be found on the web site, etc.
Right now is a good time to make some further advertising for the congress; there is still ample time for submission of abstracts, as you can see below.
I would like to ask for your help with this. That is, I would very much appreciate if you could distribute the information via email to the members of your organization.
Further information about the schedule, the General Assembly, etc. will come soon.
Thank you in advance,
-Dag Westerstahl Secretary-General IUHPS/DLMPS
LMPS 2007 Beijing, China, August 9 – 15, 2007
13TH INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS OF LOGIC, METHODOLOGY AND PHILOSOPHY OF SCIENCE
is held for the first time in Asia. It is organized by the International Union for History and Philosophy of Science, Division of Logic, Methodology and Philosophy of Science (IUHPS/DLMPS), and Tsinghua University, Beijing. The congress features plenary speakers, invited speakers in 16 sections, a number of special symposia, and contributed papers in each section. The sections are:
A LOGIC A1 Mathematical logic A2 Philosophical and applied logic A3 Logic and computation
B GENERAL PHILOSOPHY OF SCIENCE B1 General problems of methodology and scientific reasoning B2 Formal approaches to methodology B3 Historical and sociological aspects in the philosophy of science
C PHILOSOPHICAL ISSUES OF PARTICULAR SCIENCES C1 Philosophy of mathematics and logic C2 Philosophy of physics C3 Philosophy of biology C4 Philosophy of cognitive science, psychology and linguistics C5 Philosophy of economics, theories of rationality, decision theory, game theory C6 Philosophy of social sciences C7 Philosophy of medicine
D SCIENCE AND SOCIETY D1 Ethical issues in scientific practice and technology D2 Bioethics D3 Science and education
For information about organizers, invited speakers, symposia, registration, submission of abstracts, accommodation, travel, excursions, etc. visit
or send email to <[email protected]>.
Some main points:
– Register on-line now; the (regular) fee should be paid by May 15, 2007.
– The full participation fee is US $ 250, and $ 125 for students and accompanying persons.
– A limited number of grants are available.
– The abstracts review process will start on March 1 and will end around April 10. Contributors are urged to submit their abstracts (1 page) as early as possible, preferably by March 1 in order to receive early notification of acceptance/rejection, but in no case later than March 20.
– Invited papers will be published in proceedings. Proceedings from the previous LMPS Congress are in P. Hajek, L. Valdes-Villanueva, D. Westerstahl (eds.), Logic, Methodology and Philosophy of Science (London: King’s College Publications, 2005), available in internet bookstores, e.g. fohttp://www.amazon.com/Logic-Methodology-Philosophy-Science-Hajek/dp/190498 7214/sr=1-3/qid=1168600113/ref=sr_1_3/103-3225201-2156654?ie=UTF8&s=books (paperback, $ 30).