Update: The competition is now closed but entries will be listed here.
The British Society for the History of Science (BSHS) is pleased to announce its first History of Science Travel Guide Competition.
The BSHS Travel Guide is a growing resource for information on scientific sites around the globe, written for historians and tourists alike. We invite new submissions as part of the History of Science Travel Guide Competition.
The competition is open to all, and the winner of the best new entry will receive a prize of £100. 10 runners up will receive prizes, and have their entries highlighted on the Travel Guide. All entries of sufficient quality will be featured on the Travel Guide. The entries will be judged prior to the meeting of the International Congress, where the winning entries will be announced.
Entrants should bear the following conditions in mind:
- Entries must be on a scientific site not already on the Travel Guide.
- Entries must be up to, but no more than, 1000 words.
- Entries must be in English.
- Entries should include a picture, either one you have taken of the site or from a Creative Commons resource.
- Entries should be aimed at an audience with an interest in popular history of science.
- Footnotes and references are not required but some further reading, where applicable, is encouraged.
- Entries should include the address, location, and further details (e.g. website address) of the site.
- Entries must include the author’s name, position and institutional affiliation.
- Follow the style guideline at http://www.bshs.org.uk/travel-guide/style-guide-for-contributors
- Submission of your article constitutes permission for the BSHS to publish it on the online Travel Guide but copyright remains with the author(s).
Please submit your articles by email. Entries should be in doc or pdf format, and submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by 1 July 2013.