DEPARTMENT OF LIBERAL STUDIES COLLEGE OF HUMANITIES AND SOCIAL SCIENCES
Natural Sciences Tenure-Track
The Liberal Studies Department at California State University Fullerton invites applications for a Tenure Track position to begin fall semester 2005. Liberal Studies is a unique, long-established and growing interdisciplinary program that provides faculty and students with the opportunity to study, teach, and integrate academic interests in the humanities and arts, the natural sciences and the social sciences. More than 1500 students major in Liberal Studies.
Position The department is seeking applicants with specializations in one of the natural sciences or in the history or philosophy of the natural sciences, to teach in the interdisciplinary Liberal Studies core program. Teaching responsibilities include (1) covering the science component of a team-taught two semester survey of cultural history from antiquity to the 19th century, and (2) conducting a one semester interdisciplinary course on the character and aims of 20th century science, current theories and knowledge, and the role of science and technology in contemporary society. Department faculty also have opportunities to develop courses in their areas of specialization. Released time may be available for activities such as instructional research, course development, and departmental responsibilities. Faculty advise undergraduate students and serve on academic committees. Positive tenure and promotion decisions require excellent teaching as well as research, peer-reviewed publication, and participation in the broader disciplinary community.
• Ph.D. degree or equivalent terminal degree in a discipline relevant to the Liberal Studies core program is required. ABDs will be considered but must show evidence of degree completion prior to appointment.
• Advanced course work in one of the natural sciences is desirable.
• Demonstrate interest in teaching in an interdisciplinary setting as well as competence to explain the main 20th century scientific experiments and theories, especially in the physical sciences, to students who do not have strong preparation in the sciences.
• Evidence of teaching excellence or promise and potential for successful research and publication are essential.
• Candidates should be familiar with recognized best practices in teaching and have an interest in using and developing innovative instructional technologies to promote student learning.
• Candidates should have demonstrated ability to interact effectively with a wide and culturally diverse range of students.
Rank and Salary The position is at the rank of Assistant Professor, tenure-track. Salary is competitive and commensurate with rank, experience and qualifications. Periodic salary adjustments are enacted by the state legislature. Additional teaching in summer and intersession is often available. Excellent comprehensive benefits are available and include health/vision/dental plans, spousal and/or dependent fee-waiver as well as access to campus child-care and new affordable housing program.
Appointment Date August 19, 2005.
Application Deadline Applications received by November 14, 2004 are assured of full consideration. Send letter of application, vita, evidence of teaching excellence or promise, and at least three recent letters of recommendation to:
Chair, Search Committee Liberal Studies
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THE DEPARTMENT, See the Liberal Studies Website at: http://hss.fullerton.edu/liberal/
Cal State Fullerton is an Equal Opportunity/ Title IX/503/504/VEVRA/ADA Employer
30% discount off Royal Society Notes and Records
20% discount off Ashgate publications
BSHS members get an exclusive 20% off all Ashgate publications.