We are pleased to announce that the 9th meeting of STEP (Science and Technology in the European Periphery) will be held in Lisbon, Portugal, 1-3 September 2014. It is organized by the Interuniversity Center for the History of Science and Technology (CIUHCT), a research centre associated with the Faculty of Sciences of the University of Lisbon and the Faculty of Sciences and Technology of the New University of Lisbon.
The deadline for submission of paper or session proposals is 15 December 2013.
STEP meetings have always sought to strike a balance between historiographical reflections, which help develop a broader comparative analysis, and case-studies examining different national and regional contexts. We will continue to favor both approaches at the 9th meeting. The Scientific Committee encourages contributions on a range of themes related to STEP’s interests and in particular to its established research groups:
- Experts in the Periphery
- Material Culture of Science: Museums and Collections in the Periphery
- Popularization of Science and Technology: Centres and Peripheries
- Science and the Press
- Universities in the Periphery
- Women in Science, Women in the ‘Periphery’
- Science x Medicine
Individual papers should aim at building upon the work of previous conferences and the current group structure within STEP. However, for session proposals, we also encourage a focus on areas which have so far been under-represented in STEP meetings (especially medicine and technology). We particularly invite contributions with a transnational dimension (either within Europe, or relations beyond Europe), or with a philosophical/theoretical angle on the nature of peripheries and their significance in the history of science, technology and medicine. We would also be happy to receive suggestions for sessions (not individual papers) on any other theme that relates to STEP’s interests (see website: http://bdrupal.hicido.uv.es/?q=node/3).
- First call for papers – 1 September 2013
- Second Call for papers – 1 October 2013
- Session Proposals (Max 4 papers or Max 4 papers each part of a session) and abstract of papers– 15 December 2013
- Decision of accepted sessions – 1 February 2014
- Abstract Submission (for stand-alone papers) – 20 February 2014
- Decision of accepted papers – 30 March 2014
- Submission of pre-circulated papers – 15 June 2014
(*) A Special fee will be considered for those attending both STEP and ESHS (4-6 Sept) , also in Lisbon at the same premises
Abstracts and presentations should be in English.
A second Call for papers, with website address, fees and further information will be sent on 1 October 2013.
For any other information please contact the local secretariat Fátima de Haan ([email protected])
Looking forward to seeing you in Lisbon
On behalf of the Local Organizing Committee
Maria Paula Diogo