The Annual Conference was revived in 2003 to provide an opportunity for scholars throughout the history of science, technology and medicine to meet and exchange ideas. Our inaugural meeting, in York, proved a resounding success, setting a pattern for the meetings in Liverpool, Leeds, Canterbury, Manchester, Leicester, Aberdeen, Exeter, St Andrews, and Swansea which have followed to date.
Beside a mixture of loosely-themed and highly specialised panels, and plenary sessions from distinguished speakers — including the biennial Presidential Address — meetings have included visits to local museums and other attractions; themed discussion sessions on teaching and learning; and a variety of social events ranging from the meticulously-planned to the bewilderingly impromptu. The Annual Conference fills an important role in terms of its scale: small enough to be easily surveyed, yet large enough to represent all fields, periods and levels of seniority within the profession.
- 2018 European Society for the History of Science, 14-17 September 2018, London
We are delighted to announce that the BSHS will be hosting the biennial conference of the European Society for the History of Science (ESHS) in London.
- 2017 Annual Conference. University of York, 6-9 July 2017.
- 2017 BSHS Postgraduate Conference. Florence, 5-7 April 2017.
- 2016 Three Societies Meeting. University of Alberta, 22-25 June 2016.
- 2015 Annual Conference. University of Swansea, 2-5 July 2015.
- 2014 Annual Conference. University of St Andrews, 3-6 July 2014.
- 24th International Congress of History of Science, Technology and Medicine. University of Manchester, 22-28 July 2013.
- 2012 Three Societies Meeting. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 11-14 July 2012.
- 2011 Annual Conference. University of Exeter, 14-17 July 2011.
- 2010 Annual Meeting. King’s College, University of Aberdeen, 22-25 July 2010.
- 2009 Annual Meeting. University of Leicester, 2-5 July 2009.
- 2008. There was no separate Annual Conference because BSHS was hosting the Sixth Three Societies Meeting at Keble College, Oxford from 4-6 July 2008, in association with the History of Science Society and the Canadian Society for the History and Philosophy of Science.
- 2007 Annual Meeting. University of Manchester, 28 June – 1 July 2007.
- 2006 Annual Meeting. University of Kent, 7-9 July 2006.
- 2005 Annual Meeting. University of Leeds, 15-17 July 2005.
- 2004 Annual Meeting. Liverpool Hope University College at Everton, Liverpool, 25-27 June 2004.
- 2003 Annual Meeting. York St John College, York, 17-19 July 2003.