The BSHS welcomes members from all backgrounds, in the UK and internationally. Current members include academics, writers, students, museums professionals, schoolteachers and anyone with an interest in some aspect of the history of science, technology and medicine.
All members of the Society receive:
- eligibility to apply for our many grants and prizes;
- print copies of the BJHS, our quarterly journal with featuring articles and reviews of the latest books in the history of science, technology and medicine;
- electronic access to forthcoming articles and back volumes of the BJHS via the Cambridge Core service;
- print copies of Viewpoint, our magazine carrying all the latest news and views from the field, released three times a year;
- advance invitations to conferences and other meetings at reduced rates, with substantial reductions for student members; and
- 30% discount off Royal Society Notes and Records – see http://royalsocietypublishing.org/site/librarians/BSHS.xhtml for further details.
We provide concessionary membership for: students, unemployed people, independent scholars, and retired people. Concessionary membership also gives reduced rates for some BSHS events.
Non-European membership is currently £10 higher than European membership, owing to the high cost of mailing out our publications to these locations. We are keeping this policy under careful review and meanwhile remind potential members that any person who wishes to join but is in difficult financial circumstances (for whatever reason) should email in confidence to discuss terms (details below).
New applicants may benefit from an introductory offer, providing a reduced rate for the first year of membership. New members who are also members of the History of Science Society (HSS) or the European Society for the History of Science (ESHS) receive a further reduction.
Membership is for 12 months from the date your payment is processed.
Note to UK taxpayers: we cannot gift-aid membership because membership offers potential personal benefits. However, additional and one-off donations can be gift-aided.
All email enquiries about membership and donations should be sent to: [email protected]